Breaking: Venezuela’s Maduro slams US plan to divert frozen funds to Guaido-led opposition
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has slammed Washington’s plan to transfer $150 million of the country’s frozen funds from offshore accounts to the opposition led by Juan Guaido.
United States, which refused to recognize Maduro’s re-election in 2018, has frozen millions of dollars of Venezuelan money in US bank accounts, in what has been termed ‘economic terrorism’.
In a thumping speech broadcast live on national television on Sunday, Maduro lashed out at both the US government and the Venezuelan opposition.
“It has become a juicy business of a pile of gangster bandits,” he said. “They have left the field of politics to dedicate themselves to extortion and fraud.”The Venezuelan president said the opposition will use these resources to continue its “destabilizing” activities in the country, by financing a “communication war against Venezuela.”
He said all financial resources frozen abroad belong to the Venezuelan people, and they could have been used to acquire medicines, food and industrial supplies.
Citing a recent opinion poll, Maduro said over 85 percent people in Venezuela are against the US sanctions imposed on the country, including the freezing of its assets overseas.
Earlier this month, Venezuela’s Foreign Minister Jorge Arreaza spoke about difficulties the country is facing in purchasing the coronavirus vaccines in the face of crippling US sanctions.
“If Venezuela did not have its resources blocked we would have been able to buy the 30 million vaccines the country needs three months ago,” he was quoted saying by AFP. “As they are blocked, like other countries in South America, Venezuela is facing a harsh new pandemic wave, fueled by more infectious virus variants coming from neighboring Brazil.”
Experts say the sanctions, used as a toll for regime change, have no effect on the stability of the Maduro administration, but impacts the socio-economic condition of ordinary people amidst COVID 19 crisis.