Dhaka | Tuesday | 27th of July 2021 | Bangla Version | Get Our App EN
  • TOP STORIESTOP STORIES
  • WORLD
  • BANGLADESH
  • INDIA
  • ECONOMY
  • TECH
  • SPORTS
  • CULTURE
  • ♦ MORE ♦
  • ♦ MORE LINK ♦
    • NBS » 1-Headlines » Breaking: After decades of profound failure, US needs to change Iran policy: Top diplomat


    Please subscribe to NBS YouTube channel:

    Breaking: After decades of profound failure, US needs to change Iran policy: Top diplomat
    NBS | Saturday, March 20th, 2021 | Published: 6:11 pm

    Breaking: After decades of profound failure, US needs to change Iran policy: Top diplomat

    A senior Iranian diplomat says “it is high time” for the United States to adopt fundamental changes in its approach toward the Islamic Republic, as it has gained nothing, but failure in decades of animosity against the country.

    Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said on Thursday that Washington has “profoundly failed” in decades of efforts to “exclude Iran from international law and politics.”

    “It is high time for the US to adopt fundamental changes in its thinking and thus its approach,” he said in a tweet.

    In separate remarks, Khatibzadeh said it was Washington that shut the door and left Iran’s landmark nuclear deal, and that it is time for Washington to re-enter the deal and lift its harsh economic sanctions on the country.

    Back in 2015, Iran signed the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), with the P5+1 group of countries — the US, the UK, France, Russia and China, plus Germany.

    The administration of former President Donald Trump, however, unilaterally withdrew from the deal in 2018 and re-imposed anti-Iran sanctions that had been lifted under the deal.

    Now with Democratic president Joe Biden in the White House, Washington has signaled its willingness to rejoin the JCPOA, yet it has conditioned the move on Tehran’s resumption of its commitments under the 2015 deal, despite the US being the oath breaker.

    The White House National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan said last month that the US would soon start a series of negotiations with Tehran in a bid to resume nuclear talks.

    Khatibzadeh, however, dismissed Sullivan’s remarks, saying, “Until now, Iran hasn’t received any message, either direct or indirect, from the new US administration.”

    The Iranian diplomat made the remarks in an interview with Russia’s news media, Sputnik, saying that Tehran has no plans to send a message to the US either.

    He said it was Washington that decided to leave one of the “longest and most detailed international agreements.”

    “The JCPOA has a defined road map…and this is the reason why talks …are not even necessary,” Khatibzadeh added.

    Iranian officials say despite its overtures, the new US administration has not changed Washington’s hostile policies toward Tehran, including the “maximum pressure” strategy followed by former President Donald Trump.

    In yet another move against the Islamic Republic, US prosecutors charged 10 Iranian nationals charged with conspiracy to violate legal sanctions against the Islamic Republic on Friday.

    “In a wide-ranging scheme spanning nearly two decades and several continents, the defendants conspired to abuse the US financial system to conduct hundreds of millions of dollars in transactions on behalf of the government of Iran,” said acting US Attorney Tracy Wilkison.

    Washington has also filed a civil forfeiture action seeking more than $157 million.

    A spokesman for the US Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles said defendants, eight men and two women, were outside the United States and had not been arrested.

    Khatibzadeh told Sputnik that Washington’s “policy of maximum pressure has failed.”

    The Iranian diplomat also said Tehran has taken “effective steps” to boost ties with its regional trade partners, including the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Qatar, adding it is Iran’s legitimate right to expand its trade.

    Read on the original site


    Write your comment...

    nbs24new3 © All Rights Reserved
    News Broadcasting Service - NBS
    (NBS) 2015 - 2020

    CEO: Abdullah Al Masum,
    Editor and Publisher : Sultana Rabiya
    -------------------------------------------
    Bangshal, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh.
    Cell : +88 02 , +88 01718 580 689
    Email : [email protected], [email protected]

    USA Office: 41-11, 28th Avenue, Suite # 15 (3rd floor), Astoria, New York-11103,
    United States of America. Cell: 917-396-5705.

    Prasenjit Das, Editor in Chief, India.
    Address : Central Road, Town Pratapgarh, Agartala, Tripura, India. +919402109140.

    Home l About NBS l Contact the NBS l DMCA l Terms of use l Advertising Rate l Sitemap l Live TV l All Paper

    Reproduction of content, news or article published on this nbs website is strictly prohibited. - Privacy Policy