Breaking: Turkey blasts West’s ‘double standard’ on terrorism
Turkey’s foreign minister says the West continues to maintain a “selective” approach towards terrorism after the US and the Europeans issued either a lukewarm reaction or kept mum on recent killings by anti-Turkey terrorists.
“Western world’s double standard on terrorism and its selective approach about “good terrorist” and “bad terrorist” continue,” Mevlut Cavusoglu tweeted on Monday.
The tweet came following reports that the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) had slain 13 Turkish citizens, whom it had been holding hostage, in northern Iraq.
The terrorist group has been waging a deadly war against Turkey in pursuit of an independent state in the country’s southeast.
The US State Department said it condemned the bloodshed “if” reports about the killings were true, while the European Union and its members preferred to remain silent.
Addressing a press conference, Cavusoglu said, “We have never been hypocritical like many Western countries.”
“Countries claiming to be fighting terrorism are either silent on PKK massacre or trying to slur over it with ifs and buts,” he added.