Dhaka | Friday | 26th of February 2021 | Bangla Version | Get Our App EN
  • TOP STORIESTOP STORIES
  • WORLD
  • BANGLADESH
  • INDIA
  • ECONOMY
  • TECH
  • SPORTS
  • CULTURE
  • ♦ MORE ♦
  • ♦ MORE LINK ♦
    • NBS » 1-Headlines » Breaking: US troops in Afghanistan at lowest level in 19 years: Trump


    Please subscribe to NBS YouTube channel:

    Breaking: US troops in Afghanistan at lowest level in 19 years: Trump
    NBS | Saturday, January 16th, 2021 | Published: 2:58 pm

    Breaking: US troops in Afghanistan at lowest level in 19 years: Trump

    US President Donald Trump says the number of American troops in Afghanistan has reached a 19-year low while his tenure ends next week, with thousands of boots still on the ground in the county.

    Trump ordered the reduction of US troops in November when there were about 4,000 troops in Afghanistan.

    He said in a brief statement on Thursday that troop levels in Afghanistan reached a 19-year low.

    “I will always be committed to stopping the endless wars,” he said.

    Trump did not mention the number of remaining troops in the country, though.

    There are about 2,500 troops in Afghanistan by Friday.

    Acting US Defense Secretary Chris Miller also confirmed the withdrawal in a statement on Friday.

    “This force reduction is an indication of the United States’ continued support towards the Afghan peace process,” he said.

    The US reached a deal with the Taliban in February last year on the withdrawal of 12,000 US troops from Afghanistan in exchange for the Taliban’s halting of their attacks on international forces.

    Under the deal, the Trump administration promised to bring the number of US forces in Afghanistan to zero by May 2021.

    Miller also said Friday that the Pentagon is planning for additional troop reductions to zero by May.

    The Pentagon is facing a legal prohibition on completing the drawdown.

    The Congress passed a legislation two weeks ago that prohibits the Pentagon to use money from this year’s or last year’s budget on reducing the number of soldiers below 4,000.

    Trump vetoed the National Defense Authorization Act, but the House and the Senate voted to override his veto.

    The Pentagon could only continue withdrawal under two conditions, provided by the legislation; a presidential waiver or a report to Congress assessing the effect of a further drawdown on the US mission in Afghanistan and the risk to U.S. troops there.

    As of Thursday, the Pentagon had met neither of those conditions.

    The US invaded Afghanistan in October 2001 under the pretext of the so-called war on terror, overthrowing a Taliban regime.

    Since the US invasion of Afghanistan, Washington has spent more than two trillion dollars waging the war on the impoverished country. Over 2,400 American soldiers and tens of thousands of Afghan civilians have been killed.

    MG

    Read on the original site


    Write your comment...

    nbs24new3 © All Rights Reserved
    News Broadcasting Service - NBS
    (NBS) 2015 - 2020

    CEO: Abdullah Al Masum,
    Editor and Publisher : Sultana Rabiya
    -------------------------------------------
    Bangshal, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh.
    Cell : +88 02 , +88 01718 580 689
    Email : [email protected], [email protected]

    USA Office: 41-11, 28th Avenue, Suite # 15 (3rd floor), Astoria, New York-11103,
    United States of America. Cell: 917-396-5705.

    Prasenjit Das, Editor in Chief, India.
    Address : Central Road, Town Pratapgarh, Agartala, Tripura, India. +919402109140.

    Home l About NBS l Contact the NBS l DMCA l Terms of use l Advertising Rate l Sitemap l Live TV l All Paper

    Reproduction of content, news or article published on this nbs website is strictly prohibited. - Privacy Policy