Breaking: Trump campaign files lawsuit, asking court to halt Biden’s win in Nevada
The campaign of US President Donald Trump says it has filed a lawsuit to halt Joe Biden’s victory in Nevada, the latest in a slew of legal challenges the incumbent has launched in key states.
The campaign and Trump supporters have so far lodged lawsuits in Pennsylvania, Michigan and others states challenging the disputed Nov. 3 election but have had little success changing vote tallies.
According to Press TV, in its new lawsuit filed in Carson City District Court Tuesday afternoon, the campaign demands a court order that Trump “be declared the winner of the Election in Nevada,” or, alternatively, the state’s results are annulled and no winner is certified there.
This comes after the Nevada Secretary of State’s office announced Monday that Biden won the state by a 33,596-vote margin.
The new legal challenge was formally launched by a group of Republicans known as “electors” who would have been pledged to the president in the US Electoral College system if he had won Nevada.
The lawsuit states that “fraud and abuse renders the purported results of the Nevada election illegitimate.”
Its focus is a signature verification machine the Trump campaign has described as flawed. The machine was employed in Clark County, which includes Las Vegas. The suit also claims that observers did not have meaningful access to the ballot counting process.
At a press conference Tuesday outside the state Republican Party headquarters in Las Vegas, representatives from the Trump campaign said enough evidence of questionable votes was uncovered to call into doubt those results and “bridge the gap” between Trump and Biden in the state.
“We’re quite confident in the fact that when the law and the facts are clearly adjudicated in this matter, that it will be very clear that once all the voting happened, once everything occurred, the results were unreliable because of the irregularities and the fraud,” the Trump campaign attorney Jesse Binnall said.